Thursday 19 April 2012

So to the Three of Three



International travel requires patience – which is not my best attribute! So I arrive at Nairobi airport even more well ahead of time than the recommended 3 hours to find the flight is delayed for 2 hours. But I bump into MAF pilot Brad Sinclair who is on his way to the MAF South Africa programme for flight orientation prior to starting flying in the Kenya programme. His flight was delayed even more than mine so we end up in Java House, the airport restaurant, and the hours passed by quickly as we engage in conversation. One of those God spots. Arriving in Uganda I am struck by how green it is.

With a late arrival I was more than happy to meet my hosts for the week - Laurie and Emma Nason. Laurie is the IT Manager.

During the week I have been made to feel very welcome and to be invited to the homes of many of the international staff. It has given me the opportunity to be a listening ear and to bring some perspective to the challenges of life. I have also attended many of the sessions of the RMC (Regional Managers Conference). The RMC gives the Country Managers, based in Africa with MAF International, the opportunity to pray and to discuss various topics. I led a couple of sessions on Relationship Management which looks at the various factors that contribute to good working relationships as well as exploring areas that need developing. The session below was led by Annie Russell the MAFI HR Manager based in Ashford.

On Wednesday we joined all the staff to celebrate the opening of the new hangar in Kajjansi which is the airport where MAF Uganda operates. The building of the hangar has been an incredible achievement which has been hindered by a seemingly endless number of setbacks. Steve Forsyth (Programme Manager) is giving thanks to Kees Barendse (Maintenance Director) and Martijn Verboom (Engineer) for their tremendous commitment and hard work in the hangar building project.

A stark difference between the cramped conditions of the old hangar and the new.

As I prepare to leave from my visit to Kenya, South Sudan, and Uganda I am thankful for all that I have learnt, experienced, the staff I have met, and for the amazing work that MAF does as followers of Jesus.