Tuesday 1 September 2015

Day 11, Thursday - a visit to a special child

Today was quite a special day for me and I was really looking forward to it. I had the opportunity to visit Watoto Child Care Ministries just outside of Kampala.

My wife has been sponsoring a child in Watoto for 9 years now and has spent time with her and Watoto before we met.


Throughout our relationship I have heard a lot about this child and Watoto and have supported my wife in this commitment she has made.

I couldn’t believe that I now had the opportunity to meet her and see Watoto.

Watoto is a Christian organisation that takes in abandoned babies and children and gives them a new life. Health, education, family and Christian morals.

I was so impressed with them and could see how it was such a good cause.

I enjoyed getting to know her, playing games in the garden and even managed to Skype back home to my wife while I was there which was great!

The perks of being a geek :)
MAF often flies Watoto staff or people visiting Watoto who are then collected from our Kajjansi airfield. Without MAF, the only other option is a commercial flight into Entebbe and to then drive for 2 hours.

 

Dinner with the Vines


This evening we had dinner with the Vines. Greg is our Chief Pilot from the UK, Jill is our Communications Officer from Australia and they have 3 daughters who have managed to pick up American accents? Very strange. I believe this could be from the International School they go to in Kampala.

They are a very fun family and we had a great laugh. Jill had cooked home-made quiche which was delicious!

Steve also caught up with me on how the day went in the office, but it was probably best I hadn’t asked. Still no further with the VOIP system, EMI had got some extra switches and so they were now separate from our network, and Steve had managed to fix an issue with the fileserver that popped up yesterday but progress was slow due to the power keep going off. But then he had some pretty cool news…

Tomorrow (Friday) will our last day in Uganda and it had been arranged that Steve and I could go on an MAF flight! Amazing. We were both very excited, but then he said...  we need to get up at 5am!!

What?! Ok, this is worth it.