Monday 28 November 2011

This is my last day in Bangladesh as I'm flying home tonight. I've been trying to gather my thoughts together after the last few days travelling around the Bangladeshi countryside, which have been very intense, but very worth while.

I've met some wonderful people who have suffered the most appalling hardships. These are often people who after cyclone Sidr or Alia lost absolutely everything - homes, possessions, livelihoods, and in some cases, family - and yet despite this they have found the strength to rebuild their lives. In many cases they have, with the help of the projects which MAF enables through partner organisations, rebuilt their lives for the better, ensuring that their children are receiving an education, which they weren't previously. This was so encouraging and so inspirational to see. I am still so amazed that in the face of such adversity these people had the inner strength to work so hard to make things better.

People here are so friendly, they want to meet you, they want to talk to you, they're happy to share their stories and invite you into their homes. The children in the schools are all tidy and clean, with smiling faces and neatly combed hair, are happy to talk and recite poems and songs they've learnt especially - and so happy to be in school! It's just so lovely to see. And the people that come running out when the plane lands - a sea of vivid vibrant colours. Its all these positive aspects that I'll take home with me.

I've seen first hand how MAF enables partner organisations to work in these remote areas and how utterly vulnerable Bangladesh is to natural disasters and climate change. If there were to be any flooding a lot of the bridges across the thousands of waterways look very vulnerable and liable to be washed away at a moments notice, which would make overland travel virtually impossible.

Despite all the positive changes, there is still so much that needs to be done in Bangladesh. One unofficial statistic quoted to me was that 50% of babies die under one year old! This is a statistic collected by a partner organisation who works particularly with mothers and babies in a particular area of the country. To me this is a staggering statistic, and despite the fact that it's unofficial and for a particular area, it gives an indication of the immense challenges which lie ahead, and how much more still needs to be done.

So, I leave Bangladesh with a really positive feeling, which from my own personal perspective is tinged with some sadness as I am sorry to be leaving! Although I am missing my family and very much looking forward to seeing them again!!

And lastly, but by no means least, I have to finish by saying that none of this would have been possible without the dedicated MAF Bangladesh team, who made this visit possible and made me feel so welcome - and all this on top of their very busy daily schedule - so a HUGE thank you from me!!!