Sunday 27 November 2011

Arrived back in Dhaka yesterday (Thursday) afternoon after a very intensive trip to various southern areas of Bangladesh. I've visited many of MAF's partners projects and its really encouraging to see the work that's being done. I had mixed emotions as we took off on the MAF floatplane from the Shunderbans area of southern Bangladesh to fly back to Dhaka - crowds of children laughing and waving as we took off. Firstly, though, I must say that I was very thankful (and grateful!) that I was flying back to Dhaka and not travelling in a a rickety bus. This flight took about an hour, sitting on comfortable seats and where the MAF crew look after you, instead of a day (at least) on a very uncomfortable, unsafe, unreliable battered bus!

Back to my mixed emotions - part of me feels quite positive, because although the needs remain enormous and there are still huge challenges - particularly in the Shunderbans area which seems to have been largely forgotten by the world, there is some glimmer of hope and there are a lot of extremely good projects, which are all making small steps in the right direction. But there is also a part of me which, from a personal perspective, feels quite sad and empty at leaving. I've met some wonderful people over the course of the past few days, who've been happy to share their stories and experiences with me - even though I'm a complete stranger to them. People who, despite all the horrors that life could possibly throw at them ie losing their homes, all their possessions and their livelihoods, have survived and worked very hard, with some help, to rebuild their lives to make them better for themselves and their children. These people are quite inspirational!

Yesterday, I spoke to one little boy, aged about 9, at a school I visited, who wanted to become a teacher so he could put something back into the community. It isn't the first time I've heard that sentiment over the past few days - I think its so thoughtful and so encouraging for the future of this country.

The children, generally, are just delightful - they have so very little, but they're so pleased to see visitors and followed us around laughing and giggling. They made me laugh because wherever we went it was the same, staring at me, then whispering in huddles, giggling and then seeing if they could get me to say something. As soon as I said 'hello' - there would be more giggles, more huddles. Then they'd get a bit braver and come a little closer and try talking to me. And if they were really brave, then they would touch me - I did wonder if that was part of a dare, or whether they were just trying to see if I was real!

Anyway, back in Dhaka today, the weather is really very nice, albeit quite hot, and the air is much clearer than it was last week! But the harsh realities of everyday life are all around - I saw a little girl today with the most deformed club foot I think I've ever seen, just sitting on the edge of the very dirty, dusty pavement - the traffic just thundering past, and a man who was literally just skin and bone - I don't have the words to describe how shocking that was - I honestly don't know what was holding him together - and I just felt so utterly helpless.