Tuesday 17 May 2011

Hello from Kenya

Arrived in Nairobi Sunday evening after a non-eventful day time flight. Well, saying that, I did get to enjoy a free BA ticket which had me seated in Club Class - much appreciated as I was rather tired having got up at 5am. Apart from the nice food and the ability of my seat to go horizontal (enabling me to catch a bit of sleep)a big plus was the baggage allowance - over 60kgs, so in addition to my suitcase I had with me two large roles of insulation material (weighing over 18kg each) for use on the MAF Sudan base in Juba. Thank you BA!

It's good to be back in Africa!

Monday was spent in Nairobi at the base. It's one of our biggest bases, located at Wilson airport, with a fleet of 6 aircraft (1 PC12, 4 Cessna Caravans and a Cessna 206). 75% of the flying from here goes into south Sudan. It was good to learn about the various ideas/options concerning how MAF could continue serving the people of South Sudan once they are an independent nation. A key influencing factor will of course be security within the country.

Today we hope to visit the headquarters of a number of partners within Nairobi, to learn more about their work and how MAF makes a difference in that.

Tomorrow we head up to Juba, very early, for a couple of nights in the field with partner organisations, including a CMA eye clinic in Bor. Will send an update once I'm back.